From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 18:06:17 -0500
What is bee venom used for?

Bee venom is used for bee sting allergy desensitization.   As used by my
allergist, the product came freeze-dried.  The allergist rehydrated it,
measured out the desired dose, then gave me the injection.   She also thought
it was funny to have a beekeeper who was allergic to honeybees as a patient.

As I recall, the packaged bee venom was considered a prescription drug, and
subject to all the rules for them.

I can report that the therapy worked; I now get my venom injections the
old-fashioned way by accidentally putting my thumb on a bee when I pick up a
frame.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD