From:
James Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:22:00 -0500
Will polyurethane finishes/stains work for beehives?

Bill miller wrote:
>I can't see any problem with using polyurethane finishes/stains on a
beehive.
>  Anything that is a good exterior finish will work.

There can be a problem using a finish such as polyurethane that does not
allow the passage of water vapour through whe hive wall. In damp conditions
(such as in the winter in the UK) moisture can can cause polyurethane
finishes to blister and become detached from the wood in places. It is
better to use one of the many modern woodstains that allow the wood to
breathe.

James Morton