Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:13:46 -0500
7bit
From:
"Dr. Pedro Rodriguez" <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I read with interest the writings of Adrian Wenner and his findings
> of collapse of colonies due to Varroa due to heavy infestations of
> Chalkbrood.
> snip
> Dennis A. Meeks
> Northeastern Indiana beekeeper and postal worker
Dear Dennis:
As I have stated in other posts, I have dedicated the last 13 years to
work related to the control (erradication, hopefully) of Varroa mites.
During those years, I have observed that heavy infestations of colonies
by mites result in several unwanted conditions within the population of
the colony: smaller bees, wing defects, increased death rate of brood,
development of such illnesses as chalkbrood, decreased hygenic practice,
diminished foraging, decreased vital activities (bees look like sick,
old people, pardon the comparison!). Why?, I have asked myself
repeatedly.  My overall judgement is that the mites sap the strength of
the bees to the point that they can't cope with their duties. Reminds me
of my childhood days when I saw a lot of people with malaria and other
debilitating parasites. Similarly, the bees become weakened and lose
their ability to perform. On the contrary, in colonies with normal
healthy honey bees, debris and other conditions leading to instability
and developing of illnesses are removed, hence reducing the factors
conducive to development of diseases.
I hope that I have explained my views in terms understood by all
recipients without the need to list minute details.
Many regards.
Dr. Pedro Rodriguez
Virginia Beach, Virginia (USA)