Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Edwin Badgett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:28:20 PST
Gerry Visel wrote.

>   Comments from the list on small bees??

>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:15:21 -0600 Doug Henry <[log in to unmask]>
>writes:

* David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *

" Eventually we removed the old
bottom boxes. At that point we had bees from the old box and new bees
from
the new boxes. Believe it or not, we could see the difference in bee
size.
Without hesitation, the cells get smaller, and so do the bees. That yard
we
bought out now produces far more now than it did before!!"

This is very interesting.  How often are the combs changed.  Do you use
the drawn comb or the sheets?  I have three hives and one, which is but
2 years old, is significantly smaller in size than the others.  Although
I started them from a mail package, the hive boxes and frames/comb were used.  This most likely is a factor.  I also discovered enough wax-worms
in that hive to feed a small colony of birds for a week!  Hopefully,
that problem is now rectified.  I took all the frames of honey stores
out, processed the honey (which was loaded with wax worm larvae/eggs), then placed a full large brood frame from one of the stronger hives along
with a full large honey stores frame from the other stronger hive.  I
have been refeeding their honey (less the waxworms) and sugarwater/syrup
to them over the last month.  Will re-open soon to remove the apisan and
menthol (if any did not dissolve) and check the progress.  I have
noticed an appreciable increase in the hive's population since this
procedure.  This was an experiment of desparation that apparently
worked!

Ed Badgett
Fayetteville, NC