From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 23:10:23 -0600
> You just take an empty box of drawn comb or foundation and dump it
> out.

Sounds like you use Permadent :)

> Now find hives in the yard that are bombers(gobs of bees). Take off
> the top and pull out a couple of frames of good brood, *gently
> shake* off the bees(don't damage the pupa, Dorothy)

How many times have we heard about shaking frames, with *no* mention
of the damage to larvae and pupae?  Glad you mentioned this!  There is
no need to shake off *every* bee -- just enuf that you can be sure the
queen is not on the frame.  A gentle 'quivering' shake is all that is
needed.

Another trick is to make sure that the new split only contains frames
that have come freshly from a hive, and that all the dry old frames or
foundation go into the strong parent colonies.  That way, the bees
will come up much better.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>