Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:55:20 -0500
7bit
From:
"Dr. Pedro Rodriguez" <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I regret that Dr. Rodriguez chose, without my permission, to distribute to
> all subscribers the content of my personal communication to him.  I'm not
> certain if he feels that, by the last quotation, I am calling him a
> "liar".  No, it's much more than that.  The quotation means that if *any*
> of us present research work that cannot be replicated, if we present it as
> "the truth", then we are lying.
>
> My main issue with Dr. Rodriguez has been with respect to what it means to
> "publish".  In days past when I was moving in biological circles with
> research efforts, presenting a paper at a meeting of scientists was *NOT*
> publication.  To have a "publication", it was necessary for the paper to
> have been printed in a regularly published, refereed journal.  Perhaps in
> these days of electronic media, the definition of "publishing" has
> changed.
>
> I realize that this is somewhat off topic, but I would appreciate some
> insight from Adrian, Jerry, and other functioning  "scientists" on what
> the current views are with respect to what constitutes "publication".
>
> This much is certain.  If one's research is not published, it might as
> well not have been done.
>
> Also, I suppose I'm troubled by anyone who *brags* about the significance
> of their research before it has ever been published.  I have *never*
> encountered it among my colleagues in the past, but perhaps it's quite the
> norm in other countries.
>
> Subscribers, I apologize for this use of the bandwidth.  I shall have no
> further correspondence with Dr. Rodriguez, not will I add anything else to
> this thread.  I really do *sincerely* hope that Dr. Rodriguez has the
> "magic bullet" that will cure all of our mite problems.
>
> Cordially yours,
>
> Jim
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------
>   |  James D. Satterfield        |  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]       |
>   |                              --------------------------------
>   |  258 Ridge Pine Drive         Canton is about 40 mi/64 km   |
>   |  Canton, GA 30114, USA        north of Atlanta, Georgia USA |
>   |  Telephone (770) 479-4784                                   |
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Saterfield:
I still feel, TWO FOLD NOW, offended and slandered by your remarks
calling me a liar. I expected an apology from you, but it seems that you
really mean to call me a liar, as you say, "much more than that."
Since I do not know if this is a prank (someone else using your name and
handle), I am going to simply ignore "your" remarks.
If you really wrote those remarks and stand behind your words, I suggest
that you act like a gentleman and send me an authentic (I would suggest
notarized) signed letter via U. S. postal service.
However, I suspect that the originator of such remarks is a person
blinded by bigotry to the point that he feels that a person with other
than an Anglo-saxon name is not capable of performing reputable work.
If indeed, you are the originator of above remarks, lets see where your
colors lie and "authenticate your comments."
And please do not beg for sympathy from the recipients of Bee-L
listserv. You replied via this service reiterating your insults.  The
other 600 plus (?) participants are entitled to listen to my grievance.
And believe me, Mr. Saterfield, I am aggrieved!
Sincerely.
Dr. Pedro P. Rodriguez
2133 Wolfsnare Road
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454