Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:16:44 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-17 11:34:15 EDT, [log in to unmask]
(Mark D. Egloff) writes:

> It is obvious that the queen is a drone layer and needs to be replaced.  A
>  replacement is on order and will arrive this week.> Should I remove the
"old" queen several days before I install  the new one?

   I've never done this, and don't feel that it is too significant.  She may
well be already gone.

>Should I add a frame or two of worker brood at
>     the time of installation?

   Remember that you now have mostly old worker bees, who will be reluctant
to accept a queen; in fact they may not even be capable of caring for her.
 Adding worker brood is the only way to get a good chance at acceptance.  You
want sealed brood, so there will be plenty of young bees.  These will care
for the queen.

   You could also take out the drone brood and place it back into the hive
you got brood from.  I'm not sure how the mechanism works, but it's sort of
like the bees look at the brood, and think the queen is failing. So they do
her in.  If you have ONLY good brood, the acceptance rate is improved.  This
drone brood should be no problem in a normal hive.

   If there are multiple eggs in the cells, and they are glued to the sides
rather than the bottom, you have a laying worker(s), not a drone laying
queen.  This is a near hopeless situation, though some will tell you you can
dump the bees at a distance, and let them fly home.  Theoretically the laying
worker(s) will not return.

   If my experience the best use of a hive with laying workers is to set it
on a strong hive as a super.

  Congratulations on being alert enough to catch the problem and deal with it
before the wax worms do.    It always amazes me how many beekeepers tell me
the wax worms "killed their bees."

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html