From:
Andrew Matheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:49:03 +1200
Matthew Allan, editor of Bee Biz, recently asked for information on
several subjects.  I may have missed the response in all the
post-Christmas clutter in my mailbox, but here's an answer to one of the
questions (about competition between native bees and honey bees, at
least in areas where honey bees are not native).

There was a good review on the subject last year: Sugden, E A; Thorp,
R W; Buchmann, S L (1996) Honey bee-native bee competition in
Australia: focal point for ecological change and apicultural response.
Bee World 77(1): 26-44.

Evan Sugden also presented  a paper at the IBRA/Linnean Society
symposium on bee conservation held in the UK in 1995, so his paper is in
the proceedings: Sugden, E A (1996) Toward an ecological perspective
of beekeeping.  In Matheson, A; Buchmann, S L; O'Toole, C; Westrich, P;
Williams, I H (1996) The conservation of bees.  Academic Press for the
Linnean Society of London and the International Bee Research
Association; London, UK; pp 153-162.  It contains a good bibliography of
data-generating studies on honey bee competition with other bee
species.

There are other papers in that volume on this subject:
Competition between honey bees and native bees in the Sonoran Desert
and global bee conservation issues (S L Buchmann, pp 125- 142)
Resource overlap among native and introduced bees in California (R W
Thorp, pp 143-151)
Measuring the meaning of honey bees (D W Roubik, pp 163-172)
African honey bees as exotic pollinators in French Guiana (D W Roubik,
pp 173-182)
The possible ecological implications of the invasion of Bombus terrestris
(L) (Apidae) at Mt Carmel, Israel (A Dafni & A Schmida, pp 183-200).

Tom Sanford also discussed this issue from a Floridian perspective in
Apis (http://gnv.ifas.ufl.edu/~entweb/APIS/APIS.html).

Hope this helps.

Andrew