From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:12:06 -0700
John Wolford wrote:

> I just finished adding supers to on hive.  During the winter I was feeding
> this colony of bees with the bag type feeder which utilizes a small super
> that is placed on top of the hive body.  Once the bees had finished off the
> sacks of sugar water they built comb in the area.  Today I scaped the comb
> off the top board and placed the comb on top of the top bars of the bee
> hive so I could add the queen excluder and my supers.  It was pretty messy.
>  Should have I, or shouldn't have I done this.  What are the consequences

        Consequences- it'll be messy. You could have scaped them onto
the ground as long as you know the colonyis disease free.

> Also, I have one hive that is queenless and has laying workers.  I placed
> two frames of brood from a strong hive into this hive.  I was told to do
> this so they would develop a new queen.  I did this about 7 days ago.  I
> checked today and did not notice any new queen cells.  I need some help on

        The bees recognize the laying workers as queen and will not
build q cells. They would be inferior anyhow. The only way I have been
able to consistantly resolvle this problem is to introduce a queenright
nuc to the laying worker colony. It can be just a 2 frame nuc, if the
colony is strong n number. If weak treat it as a dead out and introduce
a 4 frame nuc.