From:
Chris Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 10:26:56 +1000
>Why on earth would anyone paint the inside of a hive? The bees provide
>an excellent sealer.

This statement is quite true but there are 2 other reasons for painting the
inside of a hive.  In my case I like to paint the inside in a gloss white.
The advantages are:

1) It is easier to scrape and clean the inside surface if it has a hard
gloss finish.

2) With a light colour inside (white), it is easier to look down between the
frames to see what is happening. It works particularly well for the bottom
board.  When I have lifted all the other boxes off and have only 1 brood
chamber left, I can look between the frames and see what condition the
bottom board is in.  With a dark bottom board I would have to lift the brood
chamber as well before I can check the bottom board.

The white insides of the boxes is particularly helpful when I do not have
the boxes on the hives.
When a I have a stack of boxes with empty frames, the light coloured insides
of the box makes it much easier to see what I am looking at.

Just to complete the story (for those who want to ask), I paint the outside
a darker colour. the reasons are:

1) A light colour (like white) attracts the un-welcome attention of vandals
and neighbors.  Dark colours help to camouflage the hives.

2) I do not like the glare of reflected light form light coloured boxes.
Once again it is much easier to see inside the darker space of the boxes
when you are not blinded by a glare from the a white outside.

Regards

Chris Allen