From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:32:54 +0100
At 19:11 25/10/96 +0000, Barry Birkey wrote:
>Well, I've finally had some time on my hands to do some more illustration
work for hive
>plans. I have just made available on my site complete detailed drawings to
build a W.B.C.
>hive. The current one has metric dimensions. I hope to have a "USA" version
in inches
>that will use standard 19" frames within a week. I will also have
information on making
>angled box joints soon too.
>
>I have made some changes to my page URL also, for those who it will effect,
take note.

>http://www.birkey.com
>
>-Barry
>
>--
>Barry Birkey
>West Chicago, Illinois  USA
>http://www.birkey.com

Apart from curiosity I cannot imagine why anyone would want a WBC hive.  The
only thing to be said in its favour is that if well painted it looks pretty
and can be a nice garden decoration.  As a hive it is an abomination.  This
is why:
1.  It is expensive,and difficult to make accurately.
2.  It is almost impossible to move once established on site,
3.  Removing the 'lifts' (outer walls) before getting to the hive inside is
tiresome especially on a hot day.
4.  The bees do not like the lifts being knocked.
5.  Bees seem to like to build comb in the cavity between the lifts and the
inner box and when they do there is real trouble ahead.
6.  Additional supers need additional lifts too.
7.  In the UK version, one brood chamber is much too small and is usually
operated with two, doubling inspection time.
8.  Many beekeepers in UK start with a WBC that they have been "given" and I
fear give up in despair.

Those of us who have kept going soon wish that we were on the Langstroth
standard.  There are good British single wall hives which are derived from
the WBC (same frames) but even Brother Adam used Dadants to give a brood
chamber large enough for his prolific queens.

But beekeepers are a varied lot.  I expect someone will write in its defence!

Some months ago, Sid Pullinger of Hampshire wrote a marvelous history and
description of the WBC for Bee_L..  It will be archived if anyone missed it.

Regards,

Glyn Davies,

Ashburton, Devon UK