From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 20:15:51 -0800
Joel W. Govostes wrote:
> It's curious that beekeepers always seem to prize the light-hued honeys.

> (After all, they obtain the best price per pound, usually.)
> In any case, it IS interesting to note that, very often, once customers try

> the local honey, of whatever variety, they never go back to the grocery
> stores' "clover" honey.   For them, it is far too bland!

        I think that rating honey quality by only by color has had a
negative affect on the marketing and consumption of honey. Of coure, if
you are making a big crop of white honey, its not a problem at all. A
large part of the problem is the honey industry itself. Just look at
the way we "judge" honey". A bunch of hicks stand around in coveralls
and stare at jars of honey. If it is clear and the jar has no flaw, you
win. Compare this to the way wine is judged. Its just another ag
product, but by the time it gets to the consumer- magic.