From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:55:26 -0500
Tim Sterrett wrote:

> >probably because the bees are bringing in goldenrod honey.
>
>    For many years, I enjoyed this late season, tangy odor as a sign of
> autumn.  Then my wife commented that it smelled like old sneakers.  So now I
> am in a quandary about whether I like the smell of old sneakers!
>   Has anyone documented the link between the autumn smell of hives in the
> northeast U.S. and goldenrod (Solidago) plants?  When I stick my nose into a
> goldenrod flower, I do not smell the same ripe(!) aroma that I smell in front
> of the hives.
>
> Tim
> Tim Sterrett
> Westtown, (Southeastern) Pennsylvania, USA

The "tangy odor" from the hives in the autumn has got to be from the particular nectar
type being stored. I would also be inclined to say that it is goldenrod as that is the
dominant flowering source in my area also. It is something I look forward to every fall.
Working in my office with the windows open and having this very distinct aroma cross my
nose is a real delite. I still believe old sneakers are in a class all by themselves! It's one of
those smells that you never forget and have a real hard time trying to explain it to
someone. It's like the smell of a new car, or as a woodworker, the smell of a particular
species of wood or as a father, the smell of one of my kids after they have been playing
out in the sun all day. It's not a bad smell, just distinct. I think it's yet another small joy
of beekeeping. I vote thumbs up for "the smell" coming from my hives.

-Barry......has a weird sense of smell

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA