From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 17:26:14 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, "Dr. Pedro Rodriguez"
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>In my experience, attempting to control mites in a fashion as explained
>above is not a control method, but in fact a propagation method since it
>gives the mites every opportunity to gain control of that colony where
>they are given a "free pass" to breed.

> when there are no newborn to
>maintain the natural ongoing processes of the hive, everything comes to
>a largely diminished rate! Add to that the fact that mites escape the
>cells where they are bred before the host bee emerges. Result: a mite
>breeding program.

Lets be clear that this method is a *trap* method. You trap the mites
and remove them. It is *not* a mite breeding programm unless you get it
wrong. Secondly, you have choice about whether to treat the brood and
put it back (using Formic acid say) or discard it as an unecessary
surplus population. It depends on your choice and when the flows are
there to be capitalised on. You do not prejudice the population on young
bees at all if you are wise.

> PLEASE DON'T.

Au contrare. Please do, but recognise that it is not a simple method and
that its takes skill and time to get it right. Skill and timing that we
do not all always have and that it why there may be more appropriate,
but not better, methods.
--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,