From:
H K Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:58:12 -0500
ICCI wrote:

> Could any body help me.
> Are there any commercial testing laboratories for Bee Products in USA ?
> Beeswax, Pollen, Propolis etc..
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Rao VadlamudiThe Bee Research Laboratory (BRL) conducts research on the biology and control of honey
bee (Apis
mellifera L.) diseases and parasites to ensure an adequate supply of bees for
pollination and honey
production. Specifically, scientists are conducting research on the biology and control
of two parasitic
mites, Acarapis woodi and Varroa jacobsoni, and American foulbrood and chalkbrood
diseases.
Additionally, scientists conduct research on the molecular systematics of Apis and on
developing
molecular methods for the identification of Africanized honey bees. The BRL also
conducts research
on the utilization of non-Apis bees for the pollination of crops of economic importance.
Because of the
research specialties, the BRL scientists provide authoritative identification of
Africanized honey bees
and the diagnosis of bee diseases and pests for Federal and State regulatory agencies
and
beekeepers on a worldwide basis.

     History
     Staff
     Current Projects
     How to contact us
     Bee Disease Diagnosis

Staff

A staff of eight permanent scientists, two post-doctoral associates, and eight support
personnel make
up the BRL.

     Shimanuki, H. - Research Leader
     Arias, M.C.
     Batra, S.W.T.
     Bruce, W.A.
     Calderone, N.W.
     Collins, A.M.
     Feldlaufer, M.F.
     Hill, J.M.
     Hung, A.C.F.
     Knox, D.A.
     Kuenen, L.P.J.
     Logan, M.C.
     Sgambati, P.
     Sheppard, W.S.
     Vincent, D.L.
     Wilcox, R.J.
     Wilzer, Jr., K.R.
     Yoo, H-R.

Current Projects

The four main research units at the BRL are:

   1.Bee Diseases and Parasitic Mites,
   2.Honey Bee Molecular Systematic and Population Genetics
   3.Pollinators
   4.Cryopreservation of Honey Bee Germplasm

Diagnosis and Control of Diseases of Honey Bees, Including Parasitic Mites

Objectives: (1) to develop the means for in vitrorearing of parasitic mites of honey
bees for use in
preliminary evaluation of control technologies; (2) to conduct field evaluations of
environmentally
compatible control strategies for the management of honey bee diseases and parasitic
mites; and (3)
to develop new methods for the rapid and accurate diagnosis of honey bee diseases; (4)
to provide
diagnostic service to action and regulatory agencies and the beekeeping industry.
Selected Publications

Dr. Hachiro Shimanuki, Research Leader

Conducts research on disease and pests. Specifically investigating the control of
American Foulbrood
disease using fatty acids and determining the etiology of bee parasitic mite syndrome.
Responsible for
coordinating Africanized honey bee research between the ARS and other Federal agencies
and
Universities. In addition, oversees the bee disease, parasitic mite, and bee
identification services
performed by the Bee Research Laboratory.

Dr. William A. Bruce, Research Entomologist, Acarology

Biology of the mite parasites of honey bees. Research interests include reproductive
physiology and
behavior, nutritional physiology and feeding behavior, and host-parasite interactions.
Long-term goal is
to control these parasites by non-chemical means. Current research focuses on basic
biology of host
parasite interactions and the influence of water balance and temperature on the survival
ofVarroa
jacobsoni

. Dr. Nicholas W. Calderone, Research Entomologist

Major focus is on the chemical ecology and behavior of honey bees. Current interests
include
identification of chemical cues involved in the regulation of pollen foraging activity
and the hostseeking
behavior of the parasitic honey bee mites Varroa jacobsoni and Acarapis woodi.
Responsible for
identification and evaluation of natural products for control of honey-bee pests,
parasites, and
pathogens.

Dr. Mark F. Feldlaufer, Research Entomologist

Investigates the biochemical and hormonal differences between honey bees and their
parasitic mites
and the inhibition of sterol metabolism in honey bee pests (i.e. Galleria). Participates
in natural
products chemistry with other members of the laboratory and research community.

Dr. Akey C. F. Hung, Research Entomologist

Production of monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies and the development of enzyme
immunoassay for
field identification of honey bee viruses.

Mr. David A. Knox, Entomologist

In-charge of the bee disease diagnostic service and assists in the research on the
control of bee
diseases.

Dr. Lodewyk (Bas) Kuenen, Research Associate, Entomologist

Behavior and chemical ecology of arthropods focusing on stimuli and behavioral
mechanisms involved
in mate and host location. Current research emphasis is on host preference and host
location by
Varroa jacobsoni in relation to physical and chemical stimuli from adult and immature
honey bees.

Ms. Michele C. Logan, Biological Aid
301-504-8749

Assists in the conduct of serological tests and bee disease diagnosis.

Mr. David Vincent, Entomologist
301-504-8097

Operates the scanning electron microscope and assists in the studies on mite biology.

Mr. Kenneth R. Wilzer, Jr., Physical Science Technician
301-504-8637

Assists in the studies of sterol and natural products chemistry.

Molecular Genetics of Honey Bee Races and Populations in North America

Objectives: 1) to establish a molecular genetic baseline for feral honey bees in North
America; 2) to
characterize genetic diversity in commercial populations of honey bees in North America;
3) to define
population genetic changes associated with the process of Africanization; 4) to develop
a research
program on the molecular systematics of honey bees (Apis), that will have application to
insect
biosystematic research in general; and 5) provide authoritative ID's of selected samples
for APHIS and
State regulatory agencies.

Selected Publications

Dr. Walter S. Sheppard, Research Entomologist

Molecular systematics and population genetics of insects. Research includes systematics
of the
Apoidea and population genetic changes associated with colonizations. Current research
in an
investigation of systematics of the Apoidea using mitochondrial DNA analysis and RNA/DNA
sequencing. Special interest is the development of molecular identification procedures
for Africanized
honey bees.

Dr. Maria Cristina Arias, Research Associate

Employing molecular systematic techniques, including DNA sequencing of specific nuclear
and
mitochondrial regions, to test hypotheses about the origin, biography and evolution of
Apis mellifera
races and Apis species.

Ms. Heui-Ra Yoo, Biological Technician
301-504-8271

In-charge of the Africanized honey bee identification service and assists in the
molecular systematic
research.

Ms. Robin J. Wilcox, Biological Aid
301-504-8271

Assists in the identification of Africanized honey bees.

Utilization of Non-Apis Bees for the Pollination of Horticulture, Small Fruit, and
Vegetable Crops

Objectives: (1) to evaluate the behavioral characteristics of domestic non-Apis bees for
their ability to
serve as efficient pollinators of greenhouse horticultural crops; (2) to enhance
management practices
to improve the ability of endemic non-Apis bees to pollinate small fruits; and (3) to
devise efficient
means for the utilization of native, non-Apis bees for pollination of vegetable seed
crops, including
cucumbers and other cruciferous species.

Selected Publications

Dr. Suzanne W. T. Batra, Research Entomologist
301-504-8384

Ethology, sociobiology and biosystematics of the Apoidea (ca. 20,000 bee species
worldwide).
Conservation, and management of native and exotic bee species for improved pollination
of fruits and
vegetables. Symbioses between bees and other insects, vascular plants, and fungi.

Cryopreservation of Honey Bee Semen

Objectives: (1) To develop methods for the in vitro preservation of honey bee germplasm;
(2) apply
methods of cryopreservation and molecular analysis for the characterization of genetic
material
(sperm) of honey bees.

Dr. Anita M. Collins, Research Geneticist

Conducts research on cryopreservation for germplasm preservation and to develop
molecular methods
to characterize and identify honey bee sperm.

Recent Publications

Laboratory Office Staff

Ms. Janice M. Hill, Program Management Assistant
301-504-8205

Secretary for the Bee Research Laboratory

Ms. Pat Sgambati, Office Automation Clerk
301-504-8205

Serves as the laboratory Clerk/Typist

To Contact the BRL:

   1.Mail

          Bee Research Laboratory
          Bldg. 476, BARC-East
          Beltsville, MD 20705

   2.Phone: 301-504-8205

   3.Fax: 301-504-8736

   4.E-mail: [log in to unmask]

   5.For phone and e-mail of individuals see listings under Staff

History

The Bee Research Laboratory, the oldest of the federal bee labs, is located on the
USDA's Beltsville
Agricultural Research Center. Federal honey bee research in the Washington metropolitan
area had its
beginning in 1891 and, except for a short break in 1896-1897, has been continuous for
more than a
century.

The first Division of Bee Culture Laboratory was located in Somerset, Maryland,
presently a section of
Chevy Chase, which borders on Washington, DC. The Laboratory was relocated a number of
times
until 1939 when it was moved to Beltsville, MD.

A list of scientists who have worked in the lab in the past reads like a ``who's who''
of American
beekeeping research. Among them are F. Benton, E.F. Phillips, C.E. Burnside, E. Holst,
A.S.
Michael, J.I. Hambleton, G.F. White, and G.F. Knowlton.

Continuity of leadership has been a distinguishing feature of the Beltsville lab. Only
five scientists have
led the lab in its more than 100 years of operation: Dr. Benton, Dr. Phillips, Mr.
Hambleton, Mr.
Michael, and currently, Dr. Hachiro Shimanuki.

Research on the identification and control of honey bee diseases has always been the
major thrust of
the lab. For beekeepers and bee industry regulators, not only in the United States, but
around the
world, ``Beltsville'' has long been designated as the place they can send bee and brood
samples for
diagnoses. The bee disease diagnostic service has been a part of the research program at
the BRL
almost since its inception. Today, the BRL also provides authoritative identification of
Africanized
honey bees.

Selected Publications - Bee Diseases and Parasitic Mites

Bruce, W.A. and Kethley, J.B. 1993. Morphology of the gnathosoma of Acarapis woodi.
(Acari:
Acarapidae). Int. Jour. Acarol. (3):243-247

. Bruce, W.A., Anderson, D.E., Calderone, N.W., and Shimanuki, H. 1995. A survey for
Kashmir virus
in honey bee colonies in the United States. Amer. Bee Jour. 135(5):352-355.

Bruce, W.A. and Needham, G.R. 1995. Effects of temperature and relative humidity on the
water
balance of Varroa jacobsoni (Acari: Varroidae). Proceedings, IX. International Congress
of Acarology,
Columbus, Ohio. June, 1994.

Calderone, N.W. 1993. Genotypic variablity in stimulus-response relationships:
differential effect of
brood on pollen-hoarding behavior in two strains of the honey bee, Apis mellifera.
Animal Behavior
46:403-404.

Calderone, N.W., Shimanuki, H. and Allen-Wardell, G. 1994. An in vitro evaluation of
botanical
compounds for the control of the honey bee pathogens Bacillus larvae and Ascosphaera
apis, and the
secondary invader B. alvei. Jour. Ess. Oil. Res. 6:279-287.

Feldlaufer, M.F., Lusby, W.R., Knox, D.A., and Shimanuki, H. 1993. Isolation and
identification of
linoleic acid as an antimicrobial agent from the chalkbrood fungus, Ascosphaera apis.
Apidologie 24:
89-94.

Feldlaufer, M.F., Knox, D.A., Lusby, W.R. and Shimanuki, H. 1993. Antimicrobial activity
of fatty acids
against Bacillus larvae, the causative agent of American foulbrood disease. Apidologie
24: 95-99.

Hung, A.C.F. and Rubink, W.L. 1994. Tissue specificity and developmental expression of
hexokinase
and Africanized honey bee specific proteins in Apis mellifera L. (Hymenoptera:Apidae).
Biochem.
System. & Ecol. 22:221-227.

Hung, A.C.F. and Wagner, R.M. 1994. Amino acid composition of an Africanized honey bee
(Hymenoptera:Apidae) specific protein. Jour. Apic. Res. 33:113-117.

Shimanuki, H. and Knox, D. A. 1991. Diagnosis of honey bee diseases. U.S. Department of
Agriculture, Agriculture Handbook No. AH-690, 53 p.

Shimanuki, H., Knox, D. A., Furgala, B., Caron, D. M., and Williams, J. L. 1992.
Diseases and Pests
of Honey Bees. In The Hive and the Honey Bee. Edited by Dadant and Sons, Hamilton
Illinois, pp.
1083-1151.

Shimanuki, H., Knox, D.A. and Feldlaufer, M.F. 1992. Honey bee disease interactions:
Antimicrobial
activity of chalkbrood fungus. Amer. Bee Jour. 132: 735-736.

Shimanuki, H. 1993. Current status and future prospects for control of bee mites. Proc.
Int. Symp. on
Asian Honey Bees and Mites, 1:43-48, Wicwas Press, Cheshire, CT.

Shimanuki, H. and Knox, D.A. 1994. Susceptibility of Bacillus larvae to Terramycin.
Amer. Bee Jour.
134:125-126. Shimanuki, H., Calderone, N.W. and Knox, D.A. 1994. Parasitic mite
syndrome: the
symptoms. Amer. Bee Jour. 134:827-828.

Witherell, P.C. and Bruce, W.A. 1994. Control of Varroa mites on caged honey bees.
Arthropod
Management Tests 19:353.

Selected Publications - Honey Bee Molecular Systematic and Population
Genetics

Arias, M.C. and Sheppard, W.S. 1995. Molecular phylogenetics of honey bee subspecies
(Apismellifera L.) inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequences. Mol. Phylogen. Evol. (In
Press)

Gasparich, G. E., Sheppard, W. S., Han, H. Y., McPheron, B.A. and Steck, G.J. 1995.
Analysis of
mitochondrial DNA and development of PCR-based diagnostic molecular markers for
Mediterranean
fruit fly (Ceratitis capitata) populations. Insect Molec. Biol. 4:61-67.

Meixner, M.D., Krell, R., Dietz, A. and Sheppard, W.S. 1994. Morphological and Allozyme
variability in
honey bees from Kenya. Apidologie 25:188-202.

Schiff, N.M., Sheppard, W.S., Loper, G.R., and Shimanuki, H. 1994. Genetic diversity of
feral honey
bee (Hymenoptera: Apidae) populations in the Southern United States. Ann. Entomol. Soc.
Amer.
87:842-848.

Schiff, N.M. and Sheppard, W.S. 1995. Genetic analysis of commercial honey bees
(Hymenoptera:Apidae) from the southern United States. Jour. Econ. Entomol. (In Press)

Sheppard, W. S., Arias, M.C. and Shimanuki, H. 1994. Determination of honey bee
mitochondrial DNA
haplotypes from sting remnants. Bull. Entomol. Res. 84:551-554.

Sheppard, W.S., Rinderer, T.E., Meixner, M.D., Yoo, H.R., Stelzer, J.A., Schiff, N.M.,
Kamel, S.M.,
and Krell, R. 1995. HinFl variation in mitochondrial DNA of Old World honey bee races.
Jour. Hered. (In
Press)

Selected Publications - Pollinators

Batra, S.W.T. 1994. Anthophora pilipes villosula sm. (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae), a
manageable
Japanese bee that visits blueberries & apples cool, rainy, spring weather. Proc. Ent.
Soc. Wash.
96:98-119.

Norden, B.B., Krombein, K.V. and Batra, S.W.T. 1994. Nesting biology of Exomalopsis
(Phanamalopsis) solani Cockerell (Hymenoptera: Anthophoridae). Proc. Entomol. Soc. Wash.
96:350-356.

Batra, S.W.T. 1994. Diversify with pollen bees. Amer. Bee Jour. 134:591-593.

Batra, S.W.T. 1994. Shaggy fuzzyfoot bees. Pomona 27:57-59.

Selected Publications, Anita M. Collins

Collins, A. M., Daly, H., Rinderer, T. E., Harbo, J. R. and Hoelmer, K. 1994.
Correlations between
morphology and colony defense in Apis mellifera L. Jour. Apic. Research. 33(1):3-10.

Pettis, J. S., Winston, M. L., and Collins, A. M. 1995. Suppression of queen rearing in
European and
Africanized honey bees Apis mellifera L. by synthetic queen mandibular gland pheromone.
Insectes
Sociaux. 42:113-121.

Danka, R. G., Loper, G. M., Villa, J. D., Williams, J. L., Sugden, E. A., Collins, A. M.
and Rinderer, T.
E. 1994. Abating feral Africanized honeybees to enhance mating control of European
queens.
Apidologie. 25:550-529.

Collins, A. M., Rubink, W. L., Cuadriello-Aguilar, J. I., and Hellmich, R. L. 1995. Use
of insect
repellents for dispersing defending honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Jour. Econ.
Entomol. (In
Press)

Rubink, W. L., Luevano-Martinez, P., Sugden, E. A., Wilson, W. T. and Collins, A. M.
1995.
Subtropical Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera:Apidae) swarming dynamics and Africanization
rates in
northeastern Mexico and southern Texas. Annals Entomol. Soc. Amer. (In Press)

Rivera, R. and Collins, A. M. 1994. Sting pheromones of south Texas honey bees. Proc.
Amer. Bee
Res. Conf., Weslaco, TX, Amer. Bee Jour. 134(12):835-836.

Collins, A. M. and Mbaya, J. S. K. 1994. Drone flight times in south Texas: AHB and EHB.
Proc.
Amer. Bee Res. Conf., Weslaco, TX, Amer. Bee Jour. 134(12):830.

Bee Disease Diagnosis

Anyone submitting samples to the Bee Research Laboratory should understand our
priorities for
diagnosis. They are as follows:

     Priority No. 1: Brood and adult honey bee samples submitted in support of Federal
or State
     emergency programs.
     Priority No. 2: Brood samples from colonies where the results may institute
abatement action.
     Priority No. 3: Examination of adult bees to obtain moving permits.
     Priority No. 4: Examination of adult bees for information purposes.

The Bee Research Laboratory has seen an increase in the number of samples that we in the
Laboratory have chosen to call the ``Bee Parasitic Mite Syndrome.'' It is quite likely
that this syndrome
is the result of a secondary infection in colonies infested with Varroa jacobsoni. The
microbial flora
associated with this syndrome may require biochemical tests. Accordingly, now more than
ever, an
accurate diagnosis depends on the sample.

When examining bees for Tracheal Mites (Acarapis woodi) priority will be given to pooled
apiary
samples. These bees will be examined until Acarapis woodi) is found or until 50 bees
have been
scrutinized. Samples from individual colonies will be processed only on a ``as time
allows'' basis.

Directions for Sending Diseased Brood and Adult Honey Bees
for Diagnosis

Samples of Adult Honey Bees

     Send at least 100 bees and if possible, select bees that are dying or that died
recently.
     Decayed bees are not satisfactory for examination.
     Bees to be examined for Parasitic Mites should be placed in 70% ethyl or methyl
alcohol as
     soon as possible after collection and carefully packed in leak-proof containers.
     Bees to be examined for Viruses should be loosely wrapped in a paper bag, paper
towel,
     newspaper, etc. and sent in a mailing tube or heavy cardboard box. Do not use
alcohol; AVOID
     plastic bags, aluminum foil, waxed paper, tin, or glass.

Samples of Brood

     The sample of comb should be at least 2 X 2 inches and contain as much of the dead
or
     discolored brood as possible. NO HONEY SHOULD BE PRESENT IN THE SAMPLE.
     The comb can be loosely wrapped in a paper bag, paper towel, newspaper, etc. and
sent in a
     heavy cardboard box. AVOID wrappings such as plastic bags, aluminum foil, waxed
paper, tin,
     or glass because they facilitate decomposition.
     If a comb cannot be sent, the probe used to examine a diseased larva in the cell
may contain
     enough material for tests. The probe can be wrapped in paper and sent to the
laboratory in an
     envelope.

How to Address Samples

Send all samples to:

     Bee Disease Diagnosis
     Bee Research Laboratory
     Bldg. 476, BARC-East
     Beltsville, MD 20705

     A short description of the problem along with your name and address
     should be attached to the package.

Last modified: Sept. 8, 1995

D.A. ``Dave'' Knox, Entomologist, [log in to unmask]