From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 16:57:50 -0600
> After all the years since this controversy first started ie. less
> frames per super, I still question this. If we are into honey
> production are we not wasting honey making extra wax?

Well this is a matter of taste, and i think that it will depend on a
lot of factors, incluing area, beekeeping style, etc.  Our bees are
making some wax anyhow during fast flows, and will use it places
where we don't want it -- if they have no constructive use set out
for them.

>         A standard box with 10 frames will hold as much honey as an
>         8 frame, per volume.

Well, there are 2 more bee spaces across the box with 10 frames than
8, so more air and less honey, but we never want them that full
anyhow, so the point is moot.  Where the 8 frames shine is that there
is 20% less uncapping and 20% less extracting, so we get 10 hours
work done in 8 -- and that is enough for most of our crew.

>        If, on extracting we cut the frame back to wood,
>        are we not producing a lot more wax than necessary with a 10 frame
>        set up, and therefore wasting honey on un-necessary wax production.

Depends wher your wood is.  On Manley type frames with wide ends and
tops, that is not much, but on thinner normal frames, your point may
be well taken.

We scratch or use a chain flail uncapper only, so our frames get fat,
and we don't cut back to the wood.

>         A final point, with an 8 frame set up, you can't slip a
>         frame into the brood box without cutting it around!!!

We do -- if need be.  We do keep our broods separate from our
supers, so that is not a problem unless we need more broods.  Then we
have to use super combs.

But then again, we have some 9 frame spaced broods as well as 10.
In both cases, the bees trim the fat combs back quickly enough that
we've seldom noticed a problem.

In an occasional situation, though you are right, and we do have to
trim.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>