Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 22:28:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Steve Creasy wrote:

"I would be very thankful if someone could E-mail me directly with instructions for building an
escape board.  I used the small plastic kind this year, and they tended to get clogged.  Thank
you so much in advance!"

Might's just as well publish it;  I got it from one of the bee journals.  Take an inner cover, a
thick one like a feeder board.  On the "thick" side,  glue or tack on 1/4" square wood strips
around the hole to form two or three concentric triangles with their corners open about 3/8".
The strips should have the ends cut on a slant so that the ends angle toward the corners.
Then glue or tack a triangular piece of screen over the whole triangle.  You're done.

To use 'em, put the board under the supers, screen side down.  The beeses go down through
the hole and straight outward through the passageways at the corners of the triangles, but
when they come in, end up turning down a side passage to the next corner of the triangle.

Cute idea.  It's not sensitive to bee space in the moving parts like the spring-type escapes you
install in the inner cover hole.  Those need the "springs" to be cleaned and adjusted to one
bee thickness opening.  Every type has its adherents though.

Gerry Visel

ATOM RSS1 RSS2