Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:57:35 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, David Eyre
<[log in to unmask]> writes
Ref.
>On  9 Jan 97 at 5:59, James Morton wrote: Re: comb-trapping
>It is not necessary to use drone comb in the comb-cage, and if you
>> do you tend to find the queen does not lay properly. Worker comb is much
>> better;

>Surely not! The whole premise for adding drone brood foundation, and using
>that, is because Varroa prefer drone cells.

Let us not confuse two different techniques. Trap Comb methods do not
use drone brood comb. Mites will reproduce in any larvae of the right
age, by restricting the queen to one area we control the age of the
larvae and so where the reproducing mites will be. Drone removal methods
obviously do use drone foundation, or better drone comb, and rely on the
mites (rather than us) selecting the larvae they will reproduce in and
so were they will be. They both have a place in our management. The fact
that mites prefer drone larvae to worker larvae given a choice, and that
in drone larvae they are able to *increase* their numbers (in worker
they only maintain their numbers) is not germane.
>        On my original post I asked for someone to calculate (who knows the
>Varroa breeding cycle) the space between the two cycles of adding two
>frames at intervals to hit breeding maturity.
Missed that, I'm not sure I can do this but I'll think about it.

>        Surely the breeding cycle is, mature adults move into breeding cells,
>immature Varroa are *released* from the cell when the host emerges, they
>then attach themselves to a bee, and move from bee to bee until they
>mature. At which time the cycle repeats.

More or less. To be pedantic its mature females going into the cells,
the males and immature females never emerge but die in the cell. Only
mature female adults emerge and they may or may not travel, they can
also jump right back into another cell and continue if there's one
handy. If I remember rightly ('cos I have'nt got my notes) the females
are good for up to six cycles given the chance (This may be UK/climate
specific). None of this affects the point you make though, which is that
the combs of either type must be removed once sealed.
--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,