From:
Hunahpu Matamoros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 13:58:03 -0700
Today I purchased some equiptment from a couple who'd kept bees for a few
years but whose charges died over the winter. They said the bottom of the
hive was full of dead bees so I assume that the dreaded mite was the
problem. They appear to have belonged to that class of keeper who did little
or nothing in the way of interceeding(powdered medication late fall) and
simply took 30 to 50 poundsof honey off each year.

They used medium supers only(no deeps, even for brood).

My concern is that this equiptment may raise the varroa count in my bees to
an intolerable level before I can treat in fall. As I drove into the yard
the bees descended on me and began robbing almost immediatly(fair amt of
honey left in these old hives and its rained pretty solidly for the last 2
days). Is it now too late or is there some way to treat these hives. Is it
possible that during the active time of summer flows that my bees will be
able to resist ANYTHING that may be in those old hives and that I can assist
them best by waiting until fall to treat---or should I medicate NOW(and
write off the honey for this year)? Or should I burn the works!(what about
my bees who've already been such industrious robbers?)

...Stuart Grant
Point Roberts, WA
58 degrees F. & 49 degrees north but in The Japanese current.

     Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys
     belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no
     one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational
     argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in
     which belief may flourish. (Austin Farrer on C. S. Lewis.)