HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 06:56:01 -0400
Here we go again. Thanks, Dan, for that excellent quote on the Barbados.
If we are going to find the origins of Colono ware, we must concentrate
on the very first points of contact among the three potting traditions
in the Americas.

The Europeans, the Africans, and the Native Americans were all equally
capable of making built-up, low-fired, unglazed pottery. The European
tradition of making such pottery was robust and widespread at the time
of colonization in the seventeenth century.

There is no reason, therefore, to seek a single point of origin for the
Colono wares. In fact, there is every reason to believe that all three
groups had cross-fertilized their potting technologies within the first
couple of genertions.

Take, for example, the Catawba. It is pretty clear that their pipe
making was learned from the Germanic settlers. Pipe moulds they were
using a century ago were clearly modelled after the Moravian molds. The
Catawba potter reported in the Foxfire series followed production
techniques identical in sequence and purpose to the techniques used in
both Denmark and West Africa?

So where did the modern Catawba learn potting? From Africans? From
Europeans?

At risk of saying something unacceptable about hyperdiffusionism, I
suggest that the three-way creolization is pretty well established fact,
and our job now is to sort the local variants.