HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"James G. Gibb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 07:31:08 -0500
To the SHA Board and Membership:
I agree with most of the HistArch commenters that the Atlanta meetings
went well, despite a few hitches.
Apropos George Miller's comment, published in the SHA Newsletter after
the Cincinnati meetings, about when we hold the annual conference, why
are we still adhering to the academic calender? Most practicing
archaeologists do not work in the academy. Since our conference is
relatively short (Wednesday through Sunday), students and instructors
should be able to attend without seriously disturbing their schedules.
(We don't seem concerned about interrupting the work schedules of those
working in government offices, museums, or the private sector.) Given
the chronic weather problems with which many of us are faced each
January, moving the meetings to a less inclement season makes good sense
and may save the lives and limbs of our colleagues.
Jim Gibb