HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:28:54 +1100
Megan Springate wrote:

>Recently, on a field school excavation in Ontario, students recovered a
>small heart-shaped piece of iron that had two triangular points or
>"clips", one on each side.
>
>At a recent conference that the artifact analyst attended, these bits
>were referred to as "tobacco markers". Apparently, a block of tobacco
>(uncertain whether it was smoking or chewing tobacco) was wrapped in
>paper, and then tied with ribbon. The sharp "clips" or tines of the
>tobacco tokens would then stick into the ribbon, securing them onto the
>package. The shape of the marker indicated the tobacco manufacturer: the
>heart shaped marker signified MacDonald tobacco (who now make
>Export).

Robert Schuyler had similar tobacco clips at late nineteenth century sites
he was working on in Utah, but I don't know what his source of information
was.  I don't think he's on email, but he could be reached at the
University Museum, Department of American Civilization/Anthropology,
University of Pennsylvania, 33rd and Spruce Streets, Philadelphia, PA
19104-6324.

Susan

Dr Susan Lawrence
Department of Archaeology