HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 06:29:33 -0700
Comments:
RFC822 error: <W> DATE field duplicated. Last occurrence was retained.
I have recently come across an unusual piece of redware that I am seeking
comparative information on.  It is a small bowl, rather like a rice bowl,
with a footring.  It has a creamware glaze and is handpainted on the inside
with a simple petalled flower (kind of like a daisy but with only four or five
petals) and is sponged on the exterior.  The decoration is blue.  I have
been analyzing redware for a number of years and gathering information on
the late 18th and early 19th century redware potteries in Kentucky.  This
is the first and only piece I have ever run across that has a creamware glaze
with handpainting and sponging.  The vessel form is also very atypical for
Kentucky.  I acquired the piece from an antique dealer so there is no pro-
venience for it other than it came from a Kentucky estate sale.

Does anyone have any information on redware of this type?  I have not found
any sherds in archaeological collections that even remotely resemble this
piece.  Any ideas or help that the bulletin board could provide would be
greatly appreciated.  Incidentally, the Museum for Early Southern Decorative
Arts is sponsoring a symposium on Kentucky ceramics at the J.B. Speed Museum
in Louisville in November  (11-12, I think) of 1996.  I expect to get a flyer
on it and will post additional information to the board when I receive it.