From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:14:55 PDT
Ken Tetrick wrote (in response to earlier interest in the subject and in part):

>  I was very excited to see the message on auditory measurements of
>hive sounds. Just this week I am planning to buy enough hive parts
>to investigate how I might integrate electronic monitoring devices
>into a hive in a way that would be unintrusive to the bees.

>  I became intensly interested in bees and beekeeping this summer.
>Since I live in an appartment in a city that does not permit bees
>to be kept, I want very much to do so and will probably have to move
>soon. In addition to just wanting my own bees to watch, I am interested
>in all manner of monitoring the hive, including temperature, humidity,
>sound and visual monitoring. While I am not an electrical engineer, I
>have worked with electronics some and computers. Still, having no
>experience with bees, I expect lots of very interesting setbacks and
>successes with all of this.

>  I would be interested in the plans and information mentioned by
>Joe Hemmens and also any other advice or information anyone might be
>able to provide.

*****

   For a look of some sonagrams of sounds made by bees in their hive, you
can consult one of the first such displays published (April, 1964.  "Sound
communication in honey bees"  SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN  210:116-124). [Of
course, as indicated in earlier exchanges on this network, I no longer
believe in the notion of dance recruitment of bees (for example, see pp.
551 and 552 in this month's issue of BEE CULTURE.)]

                                                         Adrian

* Adrian Wenner        E-Mail   [log in to unmask]  *
* Dept.Ecol.,Evol.,& Mar.Biol. Office Phone    (805) 893-2838 *
* University of California     Lab Phone       (805) 893-2675 *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX             (805) 893-8062 *
*  "The difference between real and unreal things is that     *
*  unreal things usually last much longer."  Pot-Shots #6728  *
*     Copyright, Ashleigh Brilliant -- used with permission   *