Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Dennis A. Meeks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 05:46:35 -0500
At 01:58 AM 7/5/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>>I've noticed a lot of bumblebees this season, more than I remember in
>>>previous years,
>On the Pacific Coast at 49 degrees North Latitude, there appear to be more
>bumblebees than I have ever seen before. Until the connection to the
>honeybee population crash---I thought little of it. Now, everytime I see
>them I wonder what the plants would do without 'em.
>
>Today was July fourth and I got called by 911 to collect a small swarm. I
>recognise them as some of the New Zealand bees(a sort of glowing orange
>tinge)that were brought into the area this April(thats a pretty quick cast
>eh?). Anyway, I was glad to get 'em having lost most of my Buckfasts in a
>big swarm myself in early May..
>
>I waited 'til dusk and ran 'em into an empty western with one full of
>foundation on top. I saw what appeared to be one Queen slither in fairly
>quickly(it took more than an hour and almost full dark to complete the
>hiving)---it was a good exercise as I became confident at spotting the
>drones(besides size, black eyes, generally darker coloring and fur<!>, they
>seemed stupider<g> often moving against the general flow).
>
>Two questions. I placed a couple of 4inch chunks of apistan treated
>honeycomb on the topboard(under  the cap). Beneath that is a western(medium
>super) with 3 drawn combs and the rest foundation and below that, the empty
>western. Was giving them that honey a mistake or OK? The books indicate a
>hived swarm should be fed but I think they're assuming an earlier
>swarm(we're in the midst of a heavy Himalayan Blackberry honeyflow).
>
>I'm pressed for space and so this hive is sharing space on my roof with
>another hive of Buckfast. The distance between them is close to thirty feet.
>I could make it another 10; is this necessary or are they likely to not
>interfere with one another anyway?
>
>boulder
>Point Roberts, WA.
>

>             A L A N   K E Y E S   F O R   P R E S I D E N T   ' 9 6
>
>           "We don't have money problems; we have moral problems.
>                    And it's time we stood up and faced that truth."
>
>                           http://sandh.com/keyes/index.html
>

>I don't believe the honey will do anyting but help as bees that swarm
engorge themselves with honey prior to swarming.

The distance between hives should not be a problem, but watch out for
robbing, as the swarm isn't big enough to defend against an assult from a
full thriving colony.  With the honey flow on however, I would think it
unlikely.

Since you have one other hive, a frame of brood from it to the swarm will
hold the swarm.  Just the presence of honey will not keep a new swarm from
leaving.

Good luck and best wishes!

DAMeeks