From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 08:20:21 EDT
No one has commented (pro or con) about splitting the BEE-L Logs into
weekly vs monthly.  The weekly logs certainly are of a more manageable
size.  I have split all the '96 logs into weekly logs and am considering
doing so for the '95 logs also, but before I go to the trouble I thought
I'd ask for a general consensus to see if the group feels this is a
beneficial task.

As I see it, the PROS for weekly logs is that they are smaller and more
manageable (easier to download and easier to peruse - some of the
monthly logs got so large that my editor couldn't even handle them).
The CON however are that there are more logs to examine if one is
searching for a particular piece of information.  If someone is interested
in the discussion for say June '96, there are four logs rather than one.

It seems to me that the weak point for the logs is that there is no
index of where to look to find a particular piece of information.
LISTSERV does have search capabilities, but I don't know of anyone who
has mastered the possibilities.

So, my request is for comments regarding weekly vs monthly logging.
Shall I bother with splitting the '95 logs into a weekly format?  Once
split, LISTSERV will offer and serve up the weekly logs.  Prior to '95
the logs were small enough that I wouldn't bother splitting them.  Is
this a worthwhile exercise?  How valuable are the logs?  How often do
subscribers review them?  Is anyone using LISTSERV search capabilities?

Perhaps subscribers should respond to me directly to save bandwidth on
BEE-L and then I will summarize responses and report back late next week
or the week thereafter.

Thinking, always thinking,
Aaron Morris