From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 00:47:54 -0400
Thanks for the reply.

> I suggest that if the queen has not yet been
> released then either:
>         1.  There is a queen somewhere in the colony.

Very unlikely since I made a "package" from another hive and the location of
the marked queen of that hive was known.

>         2.  There are queen cells somewhere in the colony.

Even less likely, see above.

>         3.  The candy is too hard for the bees to remove.

Could be although it didn't seem hard and it appeared they didn't even try
to eat it.

I think the real reason was the bees were moved into a winter-killed hive
which had lots of honey in it, some leaking (and fermenting - yuk).

Regardless when I released the queen she seemed to be accepted since I
saw another bee feed her almost immediately.  All for nought, they were dead
a few weeks later.  I figure the bees were just plain too old to take care of
the queen (or even survive) before brood emerged once she finally had a chance
to lay.

-Mike