From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 10:50:03 +1100
> This is known as a plunge cut and is extremly dangerous on a table saw.
> This is because the cutting action of the tool is back towards the operator.
> Make a jig that holds the bottom edge of the board such that it cannot be
> thrown toward the operator.  Also be sure that as you lower the board that
> if it does catch, it will not drag fingers into the blade.  You cannot
> depend on reaction time, the jig must do the protecting.

Doing handholds used to scare me considerably.  Then I found that you
could go ahead and nail the box up first.  With a fence across the
width of your sawbench, you can then lower the end down onto the
blade(s) while holding the box well away from the blades.  I found it
to give much better control, but still never liked the job!

  (\      Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-   home [log in to unmask]
  (/      work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping http://www.wave.co.nz/pages/nickw/nzbkpg.htm