From:
midnitebee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:04:28 -0500
>Approved-By:  [log in to unmask]
>Date:         Sun, 30 Jun 1996 09:52:24 -0400
>Sender:       Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         "my name is Dean M. Breaux" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Queens and the postal dept.
>To:           Multiple recipients of list BEE-L <[log in to unmask]>

I work for the Postal Service, and what Dean has stated previously is very
true,unfortunately. You have to alert your local post office,pick up your
package at that office,and give them your phone number.I have received many
packaged bees,where the address or phone number had been smeared with sugar
syrup or some other debris.The bee breeders should also have a better
labeling system.The postal workers have been trained to read the customer's
address,not any side notes. Maybe if the breeder sticks a label to the
package, it will help.I have tried to educate my fellow workers about the
proper handling of bees.I will again talk to the District of Maine Postal
Management Officers.Remember-not everyone likes to handle bees,especially
when bees are clinging outside the package!! Let me know about complaints in
Maine.

P.S.  Queen breeders should send their bees in a crush-proof package - for
example, the Post Office provides free of charge a two-day delivery
envelope.