From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:47:51 -0700
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, David Eyre wrote:

>  Roy Nettlebeck wrote
> >come the ones with cells that were void, about 100 or more on a frame of
> >capped brood.The ones with the solid brood frames , had a higher
> >population of workers.That is why we want good queens.The queens came
> >from the same breeder and in fact from the same queen Mother. That could
> >be a problem right there.But the drones have a function in this also.
>
> >the slow ones. The ones with holes are not more than 20% behind the ones
> >with solid brood patterns.Maybe I just want perfection and when I see it
> >I want it in all my hives.
> > I thought that it was just a gene problem before and it may still be one?
> > I would like to know what the strongest factor that drives egg
> >production is?
>
> This is a lack of diversity. A good breeder will have numerous lines of bees
> to choose from, and once the queen mother is chosen then all related lines
> should be removed from the breeding yard. Or the area could be flooded by
> offspring(drones) from the drone mother.
>         Dr. Medhat Nasr did some work on close relation mating. It was
> established that the closer the relationship to sister-brother then the more
> the pattern disintegrated into this shot gun look.
>         I would suggest your breeder leaves a lot to be desired.

Hi David, I'm wondering if there is a breeder that gets 90% or better ,
solid brood patterns.I would like to know if anyone has had a consistant
source of solid laying queens.There has been plenty of work done on the
genetic factor of egg laying. Dr. Rinderers book, Bee Genetics and
Breeding, goes in depth into sex determination and mating designs. I
wonder how many follow it in practice..
 Best regards
   Roy