From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 21:52:05 -0700
On Wed, 15 May 1996, Mark D. Egloff wrote:

>      Hello all.
>      Late last week, when I was into my hives, I notice queen cells.
>      Not a good thing for me, as I did not want splits OR swarms.
>      However, at that time, I didn't have the equipment I needed
>        I stopped and waited, figuring
>      that she would soon go back down into the hive, for I did not
>      want to run the risk  of crushing her.  Well, she did not run
>      down.  She took off  and flew.  I had my hands full and
>      couldn't try to catch her.  I tracked her for several seconds
>      then she blended into the rest of the hustle and bustle of
>      bees.
>
>      After a moment of thought, I went ahead and placed the
>      sections, then took some of the remaining brood frames and
>      shook bees onto the front porch of the hive.  They immediately
>      exposed their Nassonov (SP?) gland and began to fan.  Flying
>      bees began to cluster on the  front of the hive.
>
>      I hope that the queen will follow the scent into the hive and
>      take up where she left off.  If not I can place a split with a
>      laying queen on it and thus requeen the hive.
>
>      How have you all dealt with this problem?  Will she come back
>      home or do I need to break off the split which was targeted to
>      become part of a two queen system, and place it on the hive?
>
>      Any input, experts?
>
>      (I am a hobbyist with 4 years experience, but I havn't lost a
>      queen yet ... til now, darnit.)

    Hi Mark, I have had queens fly out of there cage before I could get
them in a hive.I have been amazed at the results on every case. I put
dowm the shipping cage and stand back and wath her fly around. She will
make smaller circles as time goes on and will lite on the shipping cage
in 3 to 5 minutes.Years ago I talked to Steve Taber about a queen cell
that I cut out of a hive and she was close to breaking out of the cell.
There was no hole as of the time I set her on the tail gate of my truck.
I had about 20 hives at this set so I had more work to do.Just as I
finished , I went to pick up the cell ,just in time to see the queen walk
out on to the tailgate.She streched out her wings and walked a little.
Then came the surprise. She took off and flew right to the hive that I
cut her out of. You know Steve did not give me an answer , but I did
figure it out in about two years.We have been talking about getting rid
of old comb and replacing it with new after a few years. Wax will soak up
all kinds of pheromones and anything else that the bees bring back to the
hive. That queen knew her hive and there was no hesitation on her part.
The gaurds let her in with no problem.
 If the queen comes out of a hive to swarm ,you can try all sorts of
things to get her down.I have been less than sucessful with queen
pheromones on the end of a stick. I did not have the full 5 compoud
pheromone , which might work. I thought the workers would follow the stick.
 Bees are Wonderful
  Roy