From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:30:07 -0700
On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Vince Coppola wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, David Eyre wrote:
>
> >         It would seem that our Southern cousins are the ones who are
> > suffering with these problems. Perhaps the time has come for you'all to look
> > North for new stock.
>
> Hi David,
> Many people I've discussed this with think that tracheal mites have
> something to do with this problem. Since Ontario has only rescently been
> invaded with these, it may be another year or two before you see this
> affect in your operation.
>

> >  Our bees do not suffer with Nosema.
>
> Having imported a few queens from Ontario, I can assure you that your
> bees can suffer with nosema. I believe there were some outbreaks of
> nosema in your Province this winter.
>
>         I agree with the rest of your post, especially regarding culling and
> selection.
>         This is not a criticisism of the queen breeding in Ontario. I
> recomend Ontario queens to any northern beekeeper. We would be fortunate
> here in the States to have a program as good as theirs. With all the
> problems caused by the tracheal mite in rescent years, I'm amazed that
> this program has'nt gotten more attention.
 Hi Vince and David,
   I think that the both of you have a very important post here.
  The Tracheal mite is very slow to show its head to a beekeeper.We see
some side affects well before we find the mite.I agree that Ontario has
been working very hard to produce the very best queens that they can for
beekeepers.As both of you know first hand , it is not easy to produce very
good queens all the time.Culling is very important and we need more of it
in the US.
 Both of you have helped many beekeepers on this list and proably many
more off of the list.We need not agree all the time , that would be boring
anyway.We have fewer answers than we would like , most of the time.I come
up with more questions than I have answers and thats after 30 years with
the bees.Thanks to both of you , you have made all of us think and learn
 Best regards
 Roy