From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 08:13:26 -0700
 On Mon, 6 May 1996, Ted Fischer wrote:

>   REGARDING           RE> Rearranging query
>
> Regarding the following unsigned post:
> "This is my second year with one hive(I'll be setting up one more in a few
> weeks) and I was a little worried about them because we'd had such a poor
> spring here(Pacific Northwest, rain, cool, rain, cool, etc

> 5)I'd like to have the hive inspected by someone who knows what they're
> doing(Whatcom County, WA.) and would appreciate it if someone can supply an
> e-mail address for the powers that be.<g>"
  Hi Jim Boch, the States Apiariest will be back in Olympia in two
weeks.He is setting up his computer to get on line with us.He wont be in
the office. He will be putting out a complete list of beekeeping
organizations in Washington state when he gets on line. Ted put out some
good info and it is hard to address questions without looking at the
bees.Some things are straight forward and others are very complex.
 When we can get you linned up with with Jim, then he can help and get
you help from some one that he knows in your area. If I know who posted
the note , I can put you on the Washington list that I have started. We
really need a good list of names of state beekeepers. Jim has a big list
so that will help.We have a great number of researchers , or I should say
Great researchers on this list.
  The brood nest needs balance.The bees know what is in balance.
Different stages of larva and brood , plus young bees and a place for the
queen to lay.If you move one frame in the brood nest you change things
and then the bees try to blend in your change to what they want in the
brood nest. Everything is what they want, not what we want.We do tricks
to try to fool them , by moving brood around to give them more room.But
we always have to know what they need to raise larva , can they keep them
warm and have pollen and honey to feed them.Know the rules and follow
them and you will be ok most of the time.Bees are changing a little do to
the mites and the stress that they are going through.We need to learn
more about the behavior changes that the mite has imposed on our
bees.Some things look simple , but they are not.The honeybee has been
around for a very long time. It is very complex , which makes it able to
change to its inviornment in most cases.The reason I belive that genetics
will solve the mite problem , is founded on the fact that bees do exist
that can defend themselves against the tm and Varroa. We just need to
speed the process up , faster than nature would if we stayed out of it.
 Read Read Read and watch your bees , they will tell you what to do when
you get some understanding of there needs. Until then , keep asking
questions. I'm asking questions all the time and I have been doing this
for over 30 years.
   Best Regards
    Ror