From:
"Rudolf E. Bahr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 08:45:00 +0200
Hello Mark,

very interesting your posting, for me too, though I move normally only
single hives between my 2 apiary locations. But I had some questions:

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, MR MARK G SPAGNOLO wrote:

> Hello:
>
> <snip>                                                       I work
> at Kona Queen Hawaii.
Who or what is Kona Queen?

> <snip>
> The terrain in Hawaii is very rough.  We are forced to use 1 ton or
> 3/4 ton four wheel drive trucks.
This means the roads are very rough or do you drive across the country?

> <snip>
> We load all our hives just before sunset.  Two guys to a load.  The
> hives are not closed.  When the flight stops (shortly before sunset)
> the hive entrances are smoked and all hives are loaded.  The
> entrances face forward.
Did you experience a better air conditioning with forward facing entrances?

> <snip>
> The loads are then tied securely and covered with a net.
I assume, the net should retain those bees, which come out of their hives
during driving in the night? How much normally is the percentage of bees
coming out compared to those which don't?

> <snip>
>  The trucks
> are then parked under the sprinkler for the night.  Hawaiian night
> temeratures are rarely below 65 degrees, but the water keeps the bees
> in the hive.
I assume, in the early morning hours you will drive to your new location.
How long?

> In the morning the hives are unloaded in their new locations.  We try
> to unload just as the sun is rising.  You don't want to wait too
> long!
>
> We have good success with this method, although I have had few
> disasters.  One particular situation involving a long wait in heavy
> traffic due to a car accident comes to mind.  Bees everywhere.
But everywhere under the net?

> <snip>
> Mark at Kona Queen Hawaii

NISI APES FINIS