From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 01:59:00 GMT
AMQ>From: Ana Maria Quiniones <[log in to unmask]>
   >Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:58:24 EST
   >Subject:      Oxalis pollination

AMQ>The work I am carrying out is related to the production of sexual seed on
   >Oxalis tuberosa Mol. (an andean tuber) using honeybees for this
   >purpose.  Since I need the seed to come from specific crosses
   >(avoiding any type of pollen contamination) I am working inside confined
   >areas. Inside each compartment I put 8 plants, a nuc (of 5 frames),
   >enough water and sugar solution.  For the first month of work the bees
   >made an excellent pollination work, producing a high average of seed
   >per fruit.

    For extended pollination have a back up system, after two weeks
    replace the first unit with a fresh second unit..

    Sugar is the key to increased pollen collection. Feed often, this
    also will prematurely age your bees so replacement is necessary.

AMQ>I also have a problem with pollen contamination, my new crosses are getting
   >contaminated with pollen from the crosses made before.  My question is
   >Which minimum of days should I leave my hive without plants to be sure
   >that the bees are completely clean (without pollen) , and could a bee
   >deposit all the pollen collected on one day ?.

    Depending on what pasture the bees came from, but if you are
    reporting crossing from a earlier bloom, this is possible but
    considering the sugar or nectar the bees add to the pollen they
    store I would not think it was that much of a problem. But to be
    sure I would bring in new and fresh bees that were isolated from
    anything that could interfere with your work.

    It could be that the crossing is coming from pollen trapped in
    the confined areas. Collect some dust from the environs and have
    a look see at what is floating around before your plants bloom.

         Good Luck Ana Maria and my your seed bee fertile and bring
    forth BIG fat tubers.,
                              ttul Andy-
---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ ... "Having found the flower and driven a bee away,