From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:22:10 -0600
> >A probable 99% test for queenlesness would be to put a frame of
> >brood containing eggs or 24hrs old larvae into the suspect hive.

> While I agree with the overall method the last sentence forces me to
> respond.
>         The only reason it will produce runty Qs is the failure of
>         the
> keeper to remove the emergency cells!! On the 4th day after adding
> the frame, check and cut out all "Sealed" cells. This removes cells
> which would produce runty Qs, and leaves cells which will go full
> term ie 9 days to sealed, 16 days to emerge.

The other day I was adding a frame of eggs to a queenless hive in an
outyard (Too far to drive to get only one queen!)

And I realised that we always add a frame of *eggs* -- not larvae --  where
possible in such a case.

Of course this is a habit and I hadn't thought much about it lately,
but I realised that if the bees were actually queenless and were
given eggs, then they would likely start queens as soon as the first
eggs hatched -- or sooner.

In this case, the larvae would be treated as queens from the start
and the runty or half caste  problem should not occur.

Am I wrong?

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>