Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:03:22 +0700
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <dicka@[206.75.222.4]>
>You are right that this is a bit hard on the bees.  soft nurse bees
>are often hurt.  The trade off is that this method does allow for a
>qick cvlean up of bees in areas that are hard to get to or to clean
>up the confusion in an otherwise difficult situation.  I try to use
>less intrusive methods when possile.  But here are a few tips to
>reduce insect deaths going into the vacuum capture box.

We use a dust buster (2 speed) for removing bees from the window
after releasing attendants from cages.

Dust Busters are of the type that suck the air through the filter
before it goes to the fan.

Some vacuums put everything through the fan, and those types are not
suitable for use wih bees unless you build a catcher pail and put it
in the intake hose (with a screen on the part that carries on to the
vacuum cleaner).

A 60 pound pail works well as a reservoir. All the advice posted
about air speed, orifice size, hose roughness, and padded landing
area apply. Beware suffocation after you turn the vacuum off, too.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>