Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jean-Marie Van Dyck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 14:12:37 +0100
Hello all,

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 "Dave Green wrote ...

>   I don't think pollen will stain the honey, though it tends to make
> it more cloudy.  But I don't believe the pollen content in the honey
> comes from the pollen already packed in the cells.

[comment :]
Pollen in the honey comes principally from the harvested flowers and
this contamination vary a lot from a species to another - the
forget-me-not (Myosotis sp) and sweet chesnut (Castanea sp), for ex,
put lot of pollen in the honey, lime (Tilia sp) very few.

> Pollen in the honey is demanded by many consumers.  They don't want
> the fine filtering of supermarket honey, so as to save the pollen.
> "Raw" honey has a shorter shelf life, as it will crystallize quicker.

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 Walter & Elisabeth Patton answered ...

> Say Dave
>  Does the statement above mean that crystallized raw honey is bad
> and should be taken off the shelf.

[comment :]
In Europe, it is NOT LEGAL (yet?) to ultra-filter the honeys because
this process filter out the honey signature (pollens can really give the
floral origin but not the relative importance)

Unfortunately, in liquid honey, pollens, as sugar small crystals, can
induce the crystallization process, very slowly indeed (and the
crystals are very rought!, more than in the controlled cristallization
of creamed honey).  This occurs mainly when the temperature decreases
below 15-20 C.  The aging of this honey is the same as liquid honey.
Only its appearance and mouth sensations are changed, of course.

But is this not one important request(exigency?) of the consumers ?

Cheers

Jean-Marie

Lat.Long. : N:50.30' E:04.56'  -  Alt. : 200 m  -  North sea : 200 km

Jean-Marie Van Dyck                    Fax +32 81 72 42 72
B.P. 102                               email : [log in to unmask]
B-5000     NAMUR(Belgium)              Medical school - Biochemistry dept

Sorry for my poor english : je parle francais