From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:26:33 EDT
David Eyer wrote:

1. O.K, So I put myself in the line of fire yet again, but IMHO
this goes far > too far.
> While I cannot condone the methods that Mr. Podpodi employed to inform the
> list of his product, to condemn it out of hand without
examination.

2.  As I post this, I have a VTD on my desk. Having examined it, and
> thought about it carefully, it definitely has promise. Unlike the current
> methods of delivery, the bees cannot walk in the Formic acid (burnt feet)
> and the evaporation can be controlled. If and when I get mites, and provided
> Mr. Podpodi is not intimidated enough to quit, then I for one, will
> certainly both use it and recommend it.

3. I must agree, 85% Formic Acid has proven to be too
strong, but only with the old method of delivery. Perhaps it is time
for one of the academic crowd to become involved and evaluate this
item!

Dear David and b-liners:

I will answer your mail in a systematic way to explain our views:

1. When we wrote our openion as researchers and regulatories we did
not mean to condemn the VTD. Our questions were about data to support
the claims and where this VTD was tested. We are not aware of any
place in Canada where formic acid is used tested that VTD.

2. Having the VTD on your desk and examining it, does it mean 'you
tested it! Are you satisfied with the results ? Do you take the
responsibilty of having this product in the market?

3. Use of 85% formic acid is not legal in Canada. When formic
acid was proved for use in bee colonies the permit was only for 65%
formic acid. This action was for a good reason that is to reduce the
negative effects of formic acid on treated colonies (e.g. queen
losses, newly emerged bees and eggs kill).

I like your statment and I take it as an advice

" Until such time when one or more of the academic crowd get involved
and evaluate the VTD, --> we should wait for the outcome of the
results".

Regards,

Medhat Nasr, Ph.D.
Ontario Beekeepers' Association