From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:28:41 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Terramycin Patties

Charles (Rick) Grubbs writes:

"I have three active hives that I gave terramycin patties about a month
ago.  They have show little intrest in it and most of it still remains.
My question is, is this the best method for treating for foul brood, or
is dusting with terramycin mixed with powdered surgar a better method?
 I know that the crisco in the patties is used to help control trachel
mites, but this can be accomplished by just using powdered sugar and
crisco as an extender patty, and can be used at anytime, whereas the
terramycin should be removed 6 weeks before a honey flow."

It is perfectly normal for the terramycin patties to remain in the hive for a
long time.  The bees don't feed on it actively, but mainly consider it a hive
contaminant to be removed.  As they try to remove it they break up the fatty
mass and end up consuming just enough to be effective.  I have used it for
about five years, and since doing so have never been bothered by either
foulbrood (AFB or EFB) or tracheal mites.  I usually place about three to four
ice cream scoops of Terrapatty (the commercial mix) between hive bodies in the
early spring and then just after removal of honey supers in late summer
(Southeastern Michigan).  And I don't worry about it again!

On the other hand, I've had poor success with terramycin in powdered sugar
dusting, as well as with syrup feeding.  The main problem is that the material
must be totally consumed rather rapidly, and if not the medication is
basically wasted.  With the patties, it doesn't matter how fast the stuff is
taken.