From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:48:05 EST
     Gentlepeople:

     Although this may not necessarily be a "scientific" question or a
     question about the biology/behavior or management of bees, I think
     some discussion regarding marketing would be a good thing to open on
     the list. If you think not, forgive the post and ignore it.

     I am curious as to how the beekeepers on the list sell, distribute, or
     otherwise market their honey crops.  Is there any consistency in our
     approaches or, like many other things associated with beekeeping, is
     the marketing of hive products something that each beekeeper
     individualizes based on his expertise, desire to work, marketing
     savvy, products, objectives, and so on.

     Perhaps it would be instructive to hear how we are collectively
     working on this issue.  Take a look at the following questions and
     answer those you feel led to address:

     How many hives do you run?
     Do you retail your products yourself?
     What products do you carry?
     What are your outlets:  Festivals?  Shops?  Grocery?  Roadside Stands?
     Friends, relatives, and neighbors?
     What are your prices?
     Do you wholesale your products?
     Is your customer base long standing or do you have new customers each
     season?
     If you add new customers, how do you "find" them?  Do you have a
     marketing approach and plan or does it "just happen".

     I know that there are many bee scientists that tune into this List and
     who focus on the bees themselves, but I wonder how many
     business/marketing types are out there who might know of studies or
     books that could be shared regarding marketing of ag products such as
     the hive products we produce.

     Just curious....

     Any comments...?

     Mark Egloff