HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:33:56 +1000
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Data collection in the field

Does anyone remember the old Kaypro's, the first luggable computer. They were
about the size of today's mini tower but in a metal case. There were almost
indestructable and could be set up (provided you had a power cord or
generator) on site and used for data recording. I think we used Dbase in those
days. Before that I even remember punch cards although they were going out as
I was being educated and remain a horrible memory.

These days were are threatened by GIS. My biggest fear is that once GIS
becomes popular we will be swamped by articles on GIS applications to
archaeology which will be good on technique but short on content and
understanding.

One GIS application is that of "rubber sheeting" which involves beng able to
match a slightly inacurate map to a more accurate map. This sounds like the
sort of project described earlier in the thread.

Iain Stuart