HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jane Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 00:49:18 -0100
Suzanne:
The project I work with is fortunate to have acquired a Global Positioning
System, specifically detailed for mapping. We not onl;y use this (with
realtime diff.) to map features, but have experimented with using it to
conduct a phase I. We can develop a "data dictionary" which requires the
operator (or shovel bum) to enter a list of details on each STP for
example. Though it is always wise to have a backup plan as batteries will
always die at the most inopportune moment, this may be the wave of the
future. All the GPS data is easily downloaded to create a map, with all
associated attributes regarding the STP. This data is fully readable in
GIS, and can be manipulated as soon as its downloaded.

C. Jane Cox
Lost Towns Project
Anne Arundel County
Maryland, USA