HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:29:50 -0400
I never thought I'd get involved in a thread regarding graph paper of all
things, but I do actually have something to add.

Like Dan Mouer:

<<  By 1986-87 it was not available, so I began mapping the site on
 English engineer scale paper at a scale of 1"=1m. Now we can get metric
 paper again, but I have so many major basemaps on that odd scale, that I
 keep using it. >>

When I was in Williamsburg I faced the same problem, and used the same
solution. Now, like Dan,  I actually prefer Engineer's scale graph paper.
First, it's still set in 10's, and so can be used directly with metric
measurements. Second, the individual squares are larger, giving better
detail. Third, when I can find metric graph paper the lines are so dark that
it you practically have to use a sharpie to draw on it. The blue lines on
Engineer's paper make for nicer drawings. Fourth, you can buy it at almost
any K-mart in rural America, which is where I normally need, and run out of,
graph paper.

Re: making a scale. I made one yesterday. In Windows Draw (a really cheap but
good drawing program. I set the grid to inches and drew a rectangle two
inches long. Then I drew a one inch rectangle, colored it black and overlaid
it. Next I changed the page grid to centimeters and drew a 5cm rectangle.
Drew three 1cm rectangles colored them and overlaid them. I  put the two
together, hit "select all" and grouped them. I typed in appropriate text and
drew a rectangle around the whole thing for a border. Select all and grioup
again. There it is. You could probably do it with any graphics program--like
the one that comes with windows or wordperfect. Hint: if you plan to use
color film (and have a color printer) you can color your squares red blue and
green for a color scale! Print it out on an old piece of cover stock and it
will last longer. Use gray and you don't have to worry about overexposure.

Carl Steen