From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 19:04:26 -0500

>I'd like to know if anyong using this product has seen a noticable
>increase in brood rearing that can be atributed to Bee-Pro.  Has anyone
>studied the contents of the product to see how the proteins compair to
>real pollens.  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>Kevin Christensen

Kevin,

We know some beekeepers who use that specific product for building up large
populations early to make up splits to take north from Texas. They mix it
with corn syrup to a somewhat loose consistancy, as it will set up harder,
like cookie dough. They apply it once a month.

In our operation in Northern Michigan, we start putting on pollen
"sub"(substitute) in March with snow still on the ground. We open 'em up,
put on a slab of pollen sub with a hive tool on top of the brood nest. We
also will put on a bucket of feed if necessary. We just feed yards in
locations that are not near early pollen sources, but may feed them all
next year.

Our recipe:
one part expeller process soy flour (you can use 2 parts soy to 1 part yeast)
one part brewers yeast
add as much natural *pollen as you can afford (we trap our own)
mix it up with a commercial bread mixer while adding corn syrup
mix it to a somewhat drippy consistancy, as it will set firmer overnight

The bees love it! (it actually taste rather good)
*clean out the chalkbrood mummies from the pollen

Sleeping Bear Apiaries
Kirk Jones

when you get lemons, make lemonade....