HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:41:09 EST
-- [ From: Linda Derry * EMC.Ver #2.5.03 ] --

On an unrelated subject, the first episode in a new series of the Time
 Team (a popular British archaeology programme) was shown over here the other da
y. ... This first episode was based at an early colony in Maryland (can't remebe
r the name-was it Williamsburg?). I was just wondering if it had been screened i
n the states, and if so, whether anone has any reactions to it. One of the more
interesting features of the programme was that the discrepancy in archaeological
 tactics utilised by American and British archaeologists was emphasised. For exa
mple, much was made of the fact that the American team insisted on sieving all d
eposits excavated, a practise rarely seen on British sites of the historical per
iod (C5 to C20). On the other hand, the British team made extensive use of geoph
ysics, a technique which the programme implied was not widely used on your side
of the Atlantic. Were these observations representative of US archaeology genera
lly or has the programme given a false impression?

Tim,
At least in my backwoods part of the states, we don't get to view
"Time Team."  i wish we did, it sounds great.  In my experience sieving ot "sift
ing" (the term I'm more comfortable with) is a pretty accepted practice.  Althou
gh others may have their own opinion on this. (speak up folks).
        Mainly, I'm replying to your message because I am curious what exactly you mean
 by "geophysics."  soil science? stratagraphic excavation?  what?    Or what did
 the program(me) imply this meant.

I do however have a few personal thoughts on Williamsburg I'd like to share with
 you. (its in Virginia by the way).  I bet archaeologists trained there are more
 similar to British archaeologists that their fellow American archaeologists. (I
 am a product of that Williamsburg group).  Williamsburg archaeology has been gr
eatly influenced by British archaeologists including Ivor Noel Hume, Edward Harr
is and lesser known but no less flamboyent, Dominic Powelsland ( & Adrian Praetz
ellis).  I have since moved on to other places to work and have been shocked by
how little my approach to excavation resembles that of my prehistorian colleague
s.
        God save Open area excavation, harris matrices and stratagraphic interfaces.

Linda Derry