HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. Daniel Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 08:53:59 EST
This summer will be the 11th season of work for the VCU summer field
school at Curles Plantation in henrico County, Virginia. We will be
completing (I hope) excavation of Thomas Harris' large brick manor
house (ca. 1635-1655) which is stratigraphically layered under
remains of Nathaniel Bacon's brick house and fortifications (ca.
1675-80), a brick house-cum-kitchen built by Willian Randolph ca.
1700, destroyed ca. 1863) and a lot of landscape teracing built up by
Bacon and the early Randolph occupants. Curles is an excellent field
school site because of the deep, complex stratification and the
never-ending loads of goodies--I mean scientific data--to keep the
interests and learning curves of students (and professors) on the
move. The class lasts 7 weeks, meets all day, five days a week, and
is good for six credits. We end each season with a party at my house.
The class meets from late May to mid-July. Exact dates are still in
the air. Volunteers are cheerfully accepted for a minimum of five
days' work. No children (under 18) are permitted unless accompanied
by parent or guardian.Handicap access is limited, but we will make
arrangements as needed. For further info, call me or Beverly Binns
at(804) 828-7596.