HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:38:22 -0700
Hi, Richard.

I was very pleased to receive your email! I conducted a field camp this
summer at a Tavern Site in Monmouth County, NJ. While we didn't have the
people-power to do lots of units, we hit a very nice midden deposit about
50 feet from the structure. Without having done the detailed analysis as of
yet, it looks like the deposit represents the last years that the property
was used as a tavern (1780-1814). We have a nice sample of food remains,
ceramics, a few clothing-related items, and the odd mystery item, as well
as glass, etc. As this is a historic building associated with a museum
(Monmouth County Historical Association, Freehold, NJ), as well as being on
the National Register, we have some nice document-based research on the
property and the people who lived/worked there.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, let me know, and I'll
put together an abstract.

Also, what are the dates of the conference, and do you have membership info??

Thanks,
Megan Springate