HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Scarabs RR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 18:00:56 EST
Hi Anita!
     When I'm not hunting scarabs or books about them, I like to explore the
world of fachwerke - European timber framing - how wooden houses, churches,
rathauses, etc were built hundreds, if not thousands of years ago...
     The founder of Sandvik tools, probably the largest hand tool maker in
Scandanavia collected timber framed houses.  If he or his agents found a house
that was interesting, they bought it, disassembled it, and re-constructed it
at his outdoor "museum"!  There are houses there from the Middle ages to about
the 18th century...
I have not been able to get there yet. I believe its at Lillehammer of Winter
Olympics fame.  Hope this helps.
     Russ.