HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 23:58:38 +0800
Dear list members, I have a request.

If there is any one out there who can suggest some reading material or offer
a comment or two about cultural identity and archaeology I would appreciate
it.

To make things a little clearer, I should say that I have recently started
an archaeology/anthropology postgraduate degree in an area of north Western
Australia.  Aboriginal people in this area have mostly lived on pastoral
stations for the first two thirds of this Century.  A series of small sites
used briefly in this period show a that most lived in small corrogated iron
and wood huts, but there is also the debris left over from activites
associated with hunting and ceremonial practice.

While it may have seemed to "the powers that be" that the Aboriginal peoples
were a "dying race" at the time that these sites were being used, these
sites appear to me to show a continuing Aboriginality during a period of
rapid change.  If any one knows any references or knows of any similar
research projects elsewhere I would love to here from you.

Robin Stevens
University of Western Australia
Nedlands, Western Australia 6009